Sunday, February 02, 2014

LEARNING SLIPS From February 9, 2013


I texted Krzysztof ("K") this morning that my back was toast from last night's drills. He asked me to let him know when I hurt so that he can tailor my next workout to avoid injury. Thursday night I worked a lot on "slips" (see video) and we did 30 straight minutes of strike avoidance (getting out of the way of a punch or kick). This involves bending and ducking in all sorts of odd positions while keeping your balance, your fight stance and breathing correctly. It's hard. I like this video because it shows how sopping wet you get boxing and you can hear their "breathing" patterns which is what K is a drill sergeant about. Fricking breathing. Oh! and his latest beef with me is my "angry face". LOL! When I start feeling the burn and start grunting - my face contorts into what K calls my angry face. He says this: "STOP with the angry face. RELAX and breath." I'm all "RELAX?!? Are you f'in kidding me?? I like making my angry face!" Then he gets his Krzysztof look and says "So you like letting your opponent know you are hurting and tired? Not a good plan." I hate it when he makes sense.

So I've been with K for 6 months now and I swear he finds a new muscle to rip apart in me every session. So he tells me this afternoon that I won't run on the treadmill today, but instead he felt I was ready for "running ladders". You know ladders - you see football players doing it all the time in practice. It's like hopscotch on steroids. I just try not to trip over my own feet. So now my knees, hips and ankles have joined my back in hell. And I get one whole day off before I go back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUcPHtfzs8c

No comments: