Thursday, March 17, 2011

Reduced to Tears

Tonight, I can hardly move. I can't recall ever being in this much pain from a workout. I knew boxing was hard, but it hurts to breathe, literally. I wasn't aware of all the muscles in and around your ribcage. It took me 6 minutes to get downstairs, holding on to the railing for dear life. I must have done 100 squats throughout training having to "crouch" down between punches.

On my first day, I walked in and looked around for where I was supposed to be. I saw a woman helping a man put his hand wraps on, so I figured she was the instructor and waited to have her help me as well since I have no idea what I'm doing. After several minutes of standing there like an idiot, a man came up to me, grabbed my hands and started putting my wraps on. No "hello", no "welcome", no introduction whatsoever. The first thing he said to me was "You smell like a cigarette.". I just kind of blinked. He said, "If you are going to smoke, why are you bothering?" More blinking from me as he yanked my hands around. I managed to say something retarded like "I'm trying really hard to quit." He finished and walked away. No mercy here. Yep, he is the instructor. About 30 minutes into the workout, I am sopping wet, my face is beat red, and I am breathing so loud I can hear my heartbeat in my ears. He is calling out combinations and I am having to quickly figure it out. 1 - 2, 1 - 1 - 2, 1 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4. Okay, left jab, right cross. Left jab, left jab, right cross. Left jab, left jab, right cross, left hook, left upper cut. Again, again, AGAIN. I'm focused. I think. AAAH! There he is. Right beside me. Shit! He is standing in front of me with sparring equipment on. This means I am to take my focus off the bag and spar with him. "Come on" he says. I start hitting his gloves with the latest combination called out. "Harder." I really throw myself into this. I wail on his gloves. I'm grunting. OMG I'm grunting. He says "Good, now show me that kind of enthusiasm on the bag, and control your bag, stop letting it swing everywhere." Did I join the Marines, and no one told me? SHEESH. The police academy wasn't even this intense.

I have a really big bruise on my right forearm. Sexy.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, sorry I had to chuckle while reading that...that dude sounds like he's tough! I have never tried real boxing but I know that rib cage pain for sure! Get some pain relief and hopefully it didn't last that long.

    ReplyDelete