Friday, January 30, 2009

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

"Live by the sword, die by the sword" is a metaphorical expression meaning that living one's life in a certain way will, in the end, affect one's destiny. The proverb comes from the Book of Matthew, verse 26:52, which describes the apostle Peter drawing a sword to defend Jesus against Roman soldiers, but is told to sheath the weapon:

"Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword."
—Matthew 26:52, King James Version


While the expression strictly-interpreted means “those who live by violence will die by violence”, it is also used for a variety of situations which contain an element of poetic justice
. For instance the proverb could be used to describe a person who regularly drives under the influence and is ultimately killed in a vehicle accident caused by their intoxication. A deeper meaning aludes to "those who judge will be judged" in reference to Mathew 7:2 and Luke 6:37 which can also be interpreted as poetic justice for those observed to be wrongfully condemning others. Other variants on this phrase are also commonly used.

I like to think of it as "what goes around comes around". It truly will, my friends. Eventually. A man who spends his life bitter, will die a bitter man. I think sometimes all of us lose sight of things. We get consumed with the details and frustrations of life and forget who we are - who we need to be. Maybe even, who we used to be. I had a conversation with a friend this morning about this and it brought some things into perspective for me. I know who I am. I may not know what the hell I'm doing (LOL), but I know who I am. I also know who I'm striving to become. It is getting easier and easier to let things go, to forgive, to care even when it seems futile - to simply know that all will meet its own fate and that I need not worry myself with so many things. Yes, I worry about how to pay the bills and whatnot, but in the grand scheme of things, what the hell does fear accomplish? NOTHING. It just makes you sick. I am a glowing testament. Sometimes it is necessary to take action, and sometimes it is necessary to sit back and breathe. Let nature take its course, so to speak. I believe I am in a time of waiting; watching. I asked for peace; prayed for wisdom. Seems ironic there was an earthquake right after that...hehe. But I'm feeling a bit more peaceful today, so my prayer was answered. My problems are not yet solved, but I'm sure a solution will present itself soon.

OK, I've gone from Dark, to Deep here in the last few days. Let's see what could be next...Delusional? Demented? Derranged? Dorky? I know what my best guess is...what's yours? hahahahaha.

No comments: