Friday, January 30, 2009

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

"Live by the sword, die by the sword" is a metaphorical expression meaning that living one's life in a certain way will, in the end, affect one's destiny. The proverb comes from the Book of Matthew, verse 26:52, which describes the apostle Peter drawing a sword to defend Jesus against Roman soldiers, but is told to sheath the weapon:

"Then said Jesus unto him, put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword."
-Matthew 26:52, King James Version


While the expression strictly interpreted means “those who live by violence will die by violence”, it is also used for a variety of situations which contain an element of poetic justice
. For instance, the proverb could be used to describe a person who regularly drives under the influence and is ultimately killed in a vehicle accident caused by their intoxication. A deeper meaning alludes to "those who judge will be judged" in reference to Mathew 7:2 and Luke 6:37 which can also be interpreted as poetic justice for those observed to be wrongfully condemning others. Other variants on this phrase are also commonly used.

I like to think of it as "what goes around comes around". It truly will, my friends. Eventually. A man who spends his life bitter, will die a bitter man. I think sometimes all of us lose sight of things. We get consumed with the details and frustrations of life and forget who we are, and who we need to be. Maybe even, who we used to be. I had a conversation with a friend this morning about this and it brought some things into perspective for me. I know who I am. I may not know what the hell I'm doing (LOL), but I know who I am. I also know who I'm striving to become. It is getting easier and easier to let things go, to forgive, to care even when it seems futile, to simply know that all will meet its own fate and that I need not worry myself with so many things. Yes, I worry about how to pay the bills and whatnot, but in the grand scheme of things, what the hell does fear accomplish? NOTHING. It just makes you sick. I am a glowing testament. Sometimes it is necessary to take action, and sometimes it is necessary to sit back and breathe. Let nature take its course, so to speak. I believe I am in a time of waiting and watching. I asked for peace and prayed for wisdom. Seems ironic there was an earthquake right after that, ha! But I'm feeling a bit more peaceful today, so my prayer was answered. My problems are not yet solved, but I'm sure a solution will present itself soon.

OK, I've gone from Dark, to Deep here in the last few days. Let's see what could be next. Delusional? Demented? Deranged? Dorky? I know what my best guess is, what's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment