Monday, October 20, 2003

Crazydogmama's Movie Reviews

Miss me? Ok, it is time to start doing movie reviews. I watch TONS of movies. Not just at the theatre, but I get movies every week from Netflix. I don't watch a whole lot of regular television, just a couple of sitcoms. I consider myself a movie-watching pro. I like some stupid movies, and I like some great movies, but I know the difference between the two and I'll give you my honest opinion. Here goes:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Remake 2003)
I must admit, I LOVED IT! Is it going to win an academy award? No. Does it have stellar acting? No. BUT, what a fun ride! Lots of gross stuff, lots of running and screaming, and it wasn't "stupid" like most horror movies over the last decade have been. The acting wasn't actually that bad, just not the best I've ever seen. I wanted the good guys to get away. (Not usual for me.) The picked-up-on-the-side-of-the-road girl dilemma was a great touch. Some really good cinematography on that one. My husband and I held hands during the movie, and yes, he liked it too. They could have done better, yes, but I will be buying the DVD when it comes out. Some other favorite horror movies (and thrillers) of mine: Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original), Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, Silence of the Lambs, Poltergeist, The Exorcist, Aliens 2, The Thing (remake).
Rating: 4 stars out of 5

Cabin Fever
What a disappointment. I was excited to see this one, but it was lame as hell. Too predictable, not scary, and not enough originality. REALLY BAD acting. The gross parts were even fakey. I wanted all the characters to die. They were irritating. Oh well.
Rating: 1 star out of 5

House of 1000 Corpses
Also disappointing. Rob Zombie could have done better. The DVD has some great stuff on it, however. I will probably buy the DVD just for the intro and the extra features. I wrote in a previous blog entry about this. The killings weren't original, it wasn't scary, and the ending blew. It did have some good lines and a few good moments, though. The characters were great, very memorable. I wanted the bad guys to win in this movie, they were more fun.
Rating: 2 1/2 stars out of 5

Identity
I love John Cusack, so I had to see this movie. It wasn't bad. It was interesting to watch, and the plot twist was original and unpredictable. I didn't like it enough to buy it, but I enjoyed going to see it.
Rating: 3 stars out of 5

Thirteen
Acting was really good in this one. The fact that it was based on a true story (one of the actors was the real-life girl whose story it is) made it enjoyable. I would never have believed it otherwise. Makes you not want to be a parent. I recommend the movie for a rental.
Rating: 3 1/2 stars out of 5

Igby Goes Down
I watched this movie a week ago, and I couldn't tell you what it was about. Some disturbed guy, or something. Not memorable, just weird. Good soundtrack.
Rating: 1 star out of 5

Adaptation
Not for everyone, but I liked it. Good acting, but the storyline was odd. Nicholas Cage plays a very different part in this one. I think he should stick to movies like "Raising Arizona".
Rating: 3 stars out of 5

That's it for now, more to come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment