Monday, October 20, 2003

Crazydogmama's Movie Reviews
Miss me? Ok, it is time to start doing movie reviews. I watch TONS of movies. Not just at the theatre, but I get movies every week from Netflix. I don't watch a whole lot of regular television - just a couple of sitcoms. I consider myself a movie-watching pro. I like some stupid movies, and I like some great movies - but I know the difference between the two and I'll give you my honest opinion. Here goes:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Remake 2003)
I must admit, I LOVED IT! Is it going to win an academy award? No. Does it have stellar acting? No. BUT...what a fun ride! Lots of gross stuff - lots of running and screaming, and it wasn't "stupid" like most horror movies over the last decade have been. The acting wasn't actually that bad - just not the best I've ever seen. I wanted the good guys to get away. (not usual for me) The picked-up-on-the-side-of-the-road girl dilemma was a great touch. Some really good cinematography on that one. My husband and I held hands during the movie - and yes, he liked it too. They could have done better, yes, but I will be buying the DVD when it comes out. Some other favorite horror movies (and thrillers) of mine: Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original), Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, Silence of the Lambs, Poltergeist, The Exorcist, Aliens 2, The Thing (remake).
Rating: 4 stars out of 5

Cabin Fever
What a disappointment. I was excited to see this one, but it was lame as hell. Too predictable, not scary, and not enough originality. REALLY BAD acting. The gross parts were even fakey. I wanted all the characters to die. They were irritating. Oh well.
Rating: 1 star out of 5

House of 1000 Corpses
Also disappointing. Rob Zombie could have done better. The DVD has some great stuff on it, however. I will probably buy the DVD just for the intro and the extra features. I wrote in a previous blog entry about this. The killings weren't original, it wasn't scary, and the ending blew. It did have some good lines and a few good moments, though. The characters were great - very memorable. I wanted the bad guys to win in this movie - they were more fun.
Rating: 2 1/2 stars out of 5

Identity
I love John Cusack, so I had to see this movie. It wasn't bad. It was interesting to watch - and the plot twist was original and unpredictable. I didn't like it enough to buy it, but I enjoyed going to see it.
Rating: 3 stars out of 5

Thirteen
Acting was really good in this one. The fact that it was based on a true story (one of the actors was the real-life girl whose story it is) made it enjoyable. I would never have believed it otherwise. Makes you not want to be a parent. I recommend the movie for a rental.
3 1/2 stars out of 5

Igby Goes Down
I watched this movie a week ago, and I couldn't tell you what is was about. Some disturbed boy or something. Not memorable - just weird. Good soundtrack.
Rating: 1 star out of 5

Adaptation
Not for everyone, but I liked it. Good acting - but the storyline was odd. Nicholas Cage plays a very different part in this one. I think he should stick to movies like "Raising Arizona".
Rating: 3 stars out of 5

That's it for now...more to come later.

No comments: