Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Holy Heavy Plates, Batman!

As you may have read in one of my previous blog entries, I work in a restaurant part time as a server. It is quite amusing to work in a restaurant, and YES "The Restaurant" reality show is fairly accurate on how a restaurant runs. There are many colorful personalities, and there is much DRAMA. There is no such thing as a restaurant employee who does not possess a life of mega-drama. It cracked me up the other night when our sweet little hostess/busser girl comes busting into the kitchen with a huge pile of plates in her arms exclaiming "HOLY HEAVY PLATES, BATMAN!". You had to be there, I guess, but it really was funny. I have worked in restaurants my whole working life (16 years) in some form or another. I have bussed, hosted, done bookkeeping, served, cocktailed, a little bartending and room service. I have seen it ALL. and I have even met some famous people. It is great money FAST, and it helps buy all those little extras like DVDs, CDs, books, craft supplies and tickets to Disneyland. It is also very social, and it keeps your heart rate up. It can be really interesting to do a 6-hour run-your-ass-off busy night after a hellacious workout. By the end of the night my legs are a rubbery mass of flesh, and I usually can barely get up the two whole steps to my front door. When I wake up in the morning, I have to hold the walls to get to the bathroom because walking becomes nearly impossible. I have a wonderful chiropractor, though, who takes very good care of me, and keeps me upright.

No comments:

Post a Comment