Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Holy Heavy Plates, Batman!
As you may have read in one of my previous blog entries, I work in a restaurant part time as a server. It is quite amusing to work in a restaurant, and YES - "The Restaurant" reality show is fairly accurate on how a restaurant runs. There are many colorful personalities...and there is much DRAMA. There is no such thing as a restaurant employee who does not possess a life of mega-drama. It cracked me up the other night when our sweet little hostess/busser girl comes busting into the kitchen with a huge pile of plates in her arms exclaiming "HOLY HEAVY PLATES, BATMAN!". You had to be there, I guess, but it really was funny. I have worked in restaurants my whole working life (16 years) in some form or another. I have bussed, hosted, done bookkeeping, served, cocktailed, a little bartending and room service. I have seen it ALL - and I have even met some famous people. It is great money FAST - and it helps buy all those little extras like DVDs, CDs, books, craft supplies and tickets to Disneyland. It is also very social - and it keeps your heart rate up. It can be really interesting to do a 6-hour run-your-ass-off busy night after a hellacious workout. By the end of the night my legs are a rubbery mass of flesh and I usually can barely get up the two whole steps to my front door. When I wake up in the morning I have to hold the walls to get to the bathroom because walking becomes nearly impossible. I have a wonderful chiropractor, though, who takes very good care of me - and keeps me upright.

No comments: